02 Mar Reach the over 60’s in your area
Retired people feeling the squeeze
YEI (You’ve Earned It!) was initially a book compiled by Marilyn Hallett which listed companies offering discounts and benefits to pensioners. From a printed book, it soon turned into a fully-fledged online business.
For a nominal fee, YEI offers directory listings for companies – big, small and corporate – offering discounts and benefits to South Africans over the age of 60.
“YEI’s discounts and benefits can make simple pleasures affordable for retired over 6o’s,” says Marilyn, pointing out that only about 6% of South Africans can maintain their standard of living after retiring.
A credible media channel
The YEI website also publishes interesting articles relevant to this age group and has a large following of subscribers. Newsletters are sent to subscribers announcing new benefit listings and YEI enjoys wide exposure on Facebook. YEI is particularly proud of the fact that some of South Africa’s top brands such as Nedbank, Absa, Mediclinic, Tsogo Sun and Mango have advertised on the YEI platform.
Facebook gets older
Marilyn is often asked if older people are using Facebook. The answer is most definitely YES. In fact, the 55+ age group is the fastest growing category, having grown 80.4% in three years. One must also remember that the Baby Boomers nearing retirement now, have been online users since Internet appeared commercially in South Africa in circa 1995.
Big benefits for local businesses
Included in the nominal fee for a listing on the YEI platform are the following services for companies:
- listing in the directory, which has a search facility
- a Facebook post, designed by social media design and content specialists
- the Facebook post is boosted in the geographic location of the advertiser, making sure that the community knows that your company is offering YEI benefit and discounts, reaching thousands in your area
- a YEI sticker for your shopfront, creating word-of-mouth in your community
- the Facebook advert template is made available to the YEI advertiser, allowing you to boost it as and when you please
- inclusion in the YEI newsletter, reaching thousands of YEI subscribers
Sherpa director Elsa Barnard says that using Facebook to reach one’s community is ideal, but one must plan it correctly.
“Anybody can obviously post on Facebook but if you’re trying to reach an audience with an offer, you need to understand the channel with all of its constraints and opportunities, which is what YEI offers. We can also target geographic and demographic profiles, so you’ll reach the right people,” says Elsa.
Contact YEI firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more about how to offer discounts and benefits to people over 60 in your area.